Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I am in a race...

I am in a race, running madly toward the finish line. I can see my destination slowly appearing around the corner. I am holding my arms up at my sides- hands out, palms flat. I am a scale. And in each hand I hold something precious that should not be dropped - these two items need to be carried through to the other side pristine and intact. But while I get a good grasp on one the other falls lower to the ground. I raise it up and try to keep them even, but the weight shifts back and forth as I push myself forward.

What are these items that I carry? On one side I hold a completed course syllabus with a prepared reader, and on the other hand I hold a completed chapter of my dissertation. Steady is the word. Eye on the finish line. No room to falter...

No comments: