Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Some random thoughts about teaching

I am currently satisfying a sugar craving with an Oreo cookie muffin. Who knew that Oreo's could be made into a muffin? Well I guess if they can make a pizza out of them they can make them into anything. I needed a little afternoon pick-me-up.

From the looks of things on campus today, most students have gone home for Thanksgiving already. Seems absurd to me the way students take such liberties missing class, and I wouldn't be surprised if many parents endorsed this behavior. Anyhow, it will be interesting to see who comes to class today. Maybe I should give a pop quiz. I've heard of teachers doing this, and the quiz will be have one question and that question would be "What is your name?" Nah, I don't play those kinds of games. The students who miss class have take responsibility on their own for their absences, without any extra penalty from me. They already miss the material, and get an unexcused absence on their attendance record.

By the way, the field trip was really truly great. It was kind of like a dream come true for me to "hang" with my students in a more relaxed environment. I know I'm super dorky. It is not that I want to be friends with my students but the more I get to know them the more I can figure out how to teach them, it is that simple. Plus they are pretty cool people some of them. You can imagine that the type of students who would show up on a Saturday for a non-obligatory field trip are pretty much the best students in the class. Some disappointments were those that told me they were coming but didn't show. It's not that I take it personally or anything, it is just disappointing when you start to think that someone has the potential to impress you and then bails.

So all in all it was success. We toured the Neutra VDL House which was amazing. It is amazing how good design can change a place. The house is in need of restoration, but when you imagine it in its hey day it is unbelievable. And then went for a lovely walk downtown—a bit tiring, but I think everyone had a good day.

No comments: