Monday, December 3, 2007

It is that time of the semester...

Sorry to have deserted the blog for a while there. Last week was incredibly busy and I could not find a moment to write -

First things first, check out our new issue: www.octopusjournal.org. Import/Export is finally launched and looks amazing. I guess you could say that this was what I was doing last week instead of updating the blog.

The semester is coming to an end. And right around this time is when I start regretting that I didn't assign an end of the year research paper in lieu of a final exam. Our final is on the last possible day, Dec. 20th, at 8 in the evening. But let's look on the bright side. Only four more classes left for the semester, and then I get a teaching break until Jan. 14. The grading break will come slightly later.

I will start to teach at a new school in the spring (but still keeping the small liberal arts job), and luckily the course will be nearly the exact same as the one that I am scheduled to teach at the small liberal arts college. The new school is a professional and graduate school in architecture- so we'll see how that goes. I can almost guarantee that the students will be radically different, but you never know.

On the dissertation front reworking of Chapter One is going well and is starting to look like it will become One and Two. The reorganizing of this chapter into two chapters had me at a bit of a standstill for a while, but I think I know how to accomplish this and will be working at it for the next couple of days. Hopefully by the end of January I'll have two chapters done.

Halprin's office has been completely ignoring my emails as of late. I'm not sure what approach I should take with this. I'm traveling up to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks to meet with Janice Ross, Anna Halprin's biographer, and I'd like to meet with Halprin or at least a rep from his office. I'm thinking a polite phone call in the next couple of days would be appropriate.

On Weds. I am meeting with Yvonne Rainer at UCI and she was Anna Halprin's student, not to mention an amazing choreographer, filmmaker, video and performance artist in her own right. I'm sure that they have a fairly close relationship, and maybe she can help me out in making contact.

In summary, I'm moving from teaching to research mode... and that makes me happy for now. more to come soon.

No comments: