Friday, June 6, 2008

Call for ideas

Hey there readers! I need your help. I'm currently doing some research on the history of Ecology and/or environmentalism as we might call it today. I think that some of you have science backgrounds (myrrh?) and I need to call on your expertise. What are some pivotal texts? I know about Silent Spring, but that is pretty much it. I have a few others more specific to the design world like: Man-made America: Chaos or Control? by Chris Tunnard. Any suggestions from anyone no matter what your "expertise" would be helpful. Thanks!!

3 comments:

Breena Ronan said...

Can you be more specific? I think of the development of environmentalism as mostly coming out of events rather than texts-Three Mile Island, DDT (Silent Spring), the bombing of Judi Barri and Darryl Cherney, and so on. Are you looking for books people read when they were young that influenced them to become environmental activists?

eloise said...

Hi Breena,
Thanks for your comment! What I'd really like to find out is how the environmental movement became a full blown activist/political movement in the 1960s/70s. It seems to me that environmental awareness first arose from those who had the most direct exposure to environmental science and slowly became a more popular idea. There is probably a historical text that documents the events/texts/public discourse that mark this growth. I suspect that the environmental movement also was propelled into popular thought because of all of the political activism taking place in the US during this time. Much of which began in the 50s with the anti-nuclear testing activists.

Anyway... maybe this helps to clarify?

Thanks
E

myrrh said...

Ha! An economics degree and I am certainly not qualified to recommend "scientific" literature. Some foundational texts that do come to mind are: of course, Silent Spring, but also Paul Erhlich's The Population Bomb and Meadow's The Limits To Growth,

I would agree with Breena - that this came out of an understanding of international desertification and hunger. Also the first Earth Day (1970).

That's just a quickie breeze... but maybe a textbook of first year enviro studies would point you in the right direction.

What larger point are you trying to make?