Thursday, July 10, 2008

Der Zeit ihre Kunst, der Kunst ihre Freiheit

I recently ran into a past student of mine at a local coffee shop. We chatted for quite awhile and she mentioned to me that there was something in the class that she learned about that really stuck with her. We studied a number of different art nouveau movements in Europe including the Vienna Secession. Pictured above is the the dome of the Secession building by Joseph Olbrich. It was a center for a movement of artists looking to find a new art for their time. It included architects such as Otto Wagner, Josef Hoffman and the artist Gustav Klimt. In class we talked about the inscription on the base of the dome "Der Zeit ihre Kunst, der Kunst ihre Freiheit ." It translates to "To the age its art, to art its freedom." It resonated with her deeply enough that she got the phrase tattooed on her body (don't ask me where, I didn't see it). Pretty cool though, huh?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, very impressive. Well done, prof!

Bogdan said...

I've been to Wien recently , and the Secession Haus is one of my favorite buildings in Wien, despite all the Baroque :)

Anonymous said...

I don't tattoo myself, but have thought of putting those words in gilded letters at the entrance of my house. Perhaps it resonates so much because of the prosody - it reminds one of Latin hexameters - and the laconic fullness - just like old Latin sentences engraved in marble -.
Another expression from that time that impressed me - Ver Sacrum.